These easy vanilla cupcakes are so simple to make. Decorate with a swirl of delicious buttercream frosting or as we did today, CHOCOLATE & SPRINKLES!
Less than 30 mins preparation time.
10 to 30 mins cooking time.
Makes 12 small fairy cakes or 9 larger cupcakes.
- 110g/4oz butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
- 110g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g/4oz self-raising flour
- 1-2 tbsp milk
For the buttercream icing
- 140g/5oz butter, softened
- 280g/10oz icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- a few drops food colouring
For the chocolate topping
- 85g/3oz unsweetened chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale. Beat in the eggs a little at a time and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding a little milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Then add the remaining icing sugar with one tablespoon of the milk, adding more milk if necessary, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the food colouring and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe the icing using a spiralling motion onto the cup cakes in a large swirl.
- For a chocolate topping, put chocolate in a heatproof bowl and place it over, but not touching some barely simmering water in a saucepan. Stir until the chocolate melts and is smooth. Remove from the water and set aside to cool slightly before spooning onto the cupcakes.